Monday, July 02, 2007

Still Decorating



In an effort to bring more original artwork into my home I purchased this floral from Susan Brown. I spotted her artwork in a magazine (sorry I can't remember which one, can anyone help?) and located her on the internet. The first paintings that I liked were sold, but Susan graciously offered me this one. I have hung it in my dining room. What do you think?



Are you wondering about the chest? It is a vintage optometrist's case. It is filled with lenses! Want to see? This is what the insides of the drawers look like...



Let's look a little closer...



Any suggestions for what to do with the lenses? I have about a hundred - many sizes and thicknesses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in charge of decorating my new place when I move to PHX! Bwahaha...but not with the lenses! :D

I wonder if those lenses are still useable? Could an optometry school use them? Otherwise, maybe some kind of museum, but that's probably too complicated.

Hope you all aren't sweltering too badly. I'm OK until about 4 pm, then my apt can't stay cool enough.

Cheers! - Marsha

Kaitlin said...

I love the painting! I wonder if Susan has any art with Marigold in it...

Re-decorating is always fun, its like a fresh start. I think the 4 jars of buttons look very good!

The Calico Cat said...

Do you do scrap books or alterd books, rubber stamp or cards? (Any of those ephemera paper crafts?) Those lenses lend themselves to thos crafts wonderfully. attach one (sorry I don't know the glue type to use, but those gals in the rubber stamp store would) over something that you want to highlight...

If the circles are the same size, you could sandwich a photo and fashion a frame & hook for a charm - maybe hang in from a chandelier if not you neck...

If I had them, they would just stay in the drawers...

woof nanny said...

Have you seen the magnets and other things that place fabric or paper under those half-spheres of glass that you can get at Michaels? I would think you could do something like that with the lenses--treat them as craft glass. Holes could probably be drilled in them and then they could be used in some way also. Or maybe donate them to a doctor's office for something???? But the chest is amazing.