Thursday, August 30, 2007

O is for Orphaned Quilt Block



Another item I can't resist is the lone quilt block. Perhaps it was intended for a quilt that never was completed. Perhaps it was left over from a finished quilt - or maybe it was a "practice" block.

These turn up everywhere and I enjoy rescuing them. But what to actually do with them? Mostly they just accumulate like everything else but I have made a few into Christmas ornaments and zipper pouches. It's been so long since I did a tutorial that I thought it would be fun to take step-by-step photos:









5 comments:

camillaknits said...

You have single-handedly rescued no less than five 'practice blocks' that were too combative to play nice with other blocks in baby quilts. Yay. They didn't even play nice with each other (a little Kaffe goes a long way, some days) so this will be fun. Thank you, oh crafty one. Cami

Marsha said...

Totally adorable! You have such a good eye for design. :D

Kaitlin said...

yea!!! I love these quilt block pouches... they are going to be the best pencil bag ever.

woof nanny said...

I just added this to my purse blog. Perfect inspiration, as the current theme is to make something from vintage linens (curtains, doilies, old quilt blocks...)

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. I'm a huge Project Runway fan as well :)