Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vintage Patchwork Messenger Bags



My generous friend, Darlene, gifted me with this vintage postage-stamp quilt top and I have made a couple of bags with it.

I wanted to try something new - the "sketchy" stitching that is oh-so-hip-and-trendy right now. I stitched a face and added a little color with pencils.

Working with some vintage patched "dresden plate" blocks, I arranged everything on the patchwork, added some detail with trims and buttons and finished it as a messenger bag.



Here is the back. I added a "Grandmother's Flower Garden" block and some free-motion stitching.



After standing back and taking a good look, I wasn't sure I liked it. The problem, I think was actually the face. Too "pretty" for the whimsical patchwork. Also, I had covered up one of my favorite parts of the plate block - the bright yellow center with black primitive stitching.

So I made a second, similar bag:



Instead of the face I added an embroidered bluebird and a little message. (The first bag also has a message, did you notice?)

I DO like this one more.

I have never been the "hip and trendy" type!

3 comments:

l.wilks11 said...

How lovely your quilting is. Such bright and cheerful colours. Its so good i am now following you. Maybe you will follow me ...x

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Laura,
It is even lovelier in person! Thanks so much! I love and adore it!
~Cindy

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see my old quilt made into such a creative project. A new life for an unfinished quilt! You are the best!