Saturday, June 23, 2012

Adventures in Woolly Nylon



Woolly Nylon (or Bulky Nylon) is a type of thread that fills in a serger stitch creating a more distinct and solid line.  I thought it would be fun to try this thread to enhance the seams on a sweater coat.
I decided to try it on a simple coat design - no hood, no bottom rows.




This is the "elf" style coat with the scalloped hem.  The model is wearing a black skirt beneath the coat so it's a little difficult to see the hem - even with the highlighted seams.

The woolly nylon is a little tricky.  I had to make many adjustments to my serger settings.  Also, I decided to finish all of my ends with a drop of fray check, because I didn't have complete confidence in my usual method of stay-stitching the ends with my regular sewing machine.




So the result is pretty cool - the seams look great but I am not sure I would do another one.

I don't think there is enough of a difference in the look of the design to merit the extra effort.

Sew along with me!

Click here to purchase the Katwise tutorial.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Even if it didn't seem worth it, the coat...and Katie...look adorable!!